Responsible Gambling Tools to Help You Gamble Online
Block Gambling Payments with Your Bank
Did you know that financial institutions are now offering their customers the option to block gambling-related transactions on their accounts? This can be done by contacting customer support or visiting the bank’s website to request a block on transactions related to online casinos and betting websites. It’s important to specify how long you want the block to last, as some banks offer temporary or permanent options.
View Playing History and Restrict or Block Gambling Activity
The majority of online casinos allow players to check their playing history. This can be a valuable tool for tracking spending and spotting problematic gambling tendencies. This functionality can also be used to limit or block a user’s gambling activities. Users, for example, can establish a time limit for gambling or restrict access to specific games.
Checks You Can Do to Stay Safe
There are various checks you may conduct to keep safe while gaming online. To begin, be certain that the online casino you select is registered and regulated by a reliable body. This information is normally found in the casino’s terms and conditions or at the footer of their website. When entering personal or financial information, always look for a secure connection. Look for the words “https://” in the URL and a padlock symbol in the address bar. Finally, become acquainted with responsible gambling services, such as helplines and organizations that offer assistance with gambling-related difficulties.
Online casinos offer a deposit limit option that allows consumers to limit the amount of money they deposit into their account. This function can aid in the prevention of compulsive gambling and the management of spending. Users must log in to their account and go to the “Responsible Gambling” or “Account Settings” area to set a deposit limit. This restriction will be strictly enforced by the casino to ensure that consumers do not deposit more money than they can afford to lose.
You can set a loss cap at online casinos, which is helpful if you don’t want to spend too much and become addicted to gambling. Feel free to use this option. To find it, go to your casino account settings and look for “Limits” or “Responsible Gambling.” Just decide how much money you can lose in a certain amount of time and the operator will make sure you stick to it. This will help you stay in control of your playing budget by letting you keep track of your spending and avoid chasing losses.
You can also limit how much you want to spend on each wager. By setting a maximum wager ceiling, the casino will alert you when you try to surpass it and ensure you stick to it by preventing you from wagering more than the set limit. With this function, you can comfortably plan your spending, limit making excessive losses, and stay responsible.
Gaming Time Check
Most online gamling sites have an added feature called “gaming time check” to help people keep track of how much time they spend gambling. Player can avoid developing a gambling problem and better handle their money by putting limits on the time they spend gambling. To make the best use of gaming time, you should keep track of how much time you spend playing, use a timer or an app to keep an eye on your gaming sessions, set time limits for each session, and take breaks often to clear your mind and avoid spending too much time in front of a screen.
Many online casinos also offer a time-out feature that allows users to take a break from gambling for a set period of time. This is a great way to prevent problem gambling and take a step back when needed. Reach out to the casino’s customer support or access the “Responsible Gambling” section. Request a “Time-Out” or “Cooling-Off” period. This is typically available for a set duration, such as 24 hours, one week, or longer.
Self-exclusion is a powerful tool that allows players to exclude themselves from gambling for a set period of time. This can be done through the online casino’s responsible gambling tools or by contacting customer support. Self-exclusion is a great way to prevent gambling addiction and take a break when needed. This feature allows players to either take a short break or stay away from gambling for extended periods like six months or even a year.
How to Utilize These Tools in your Casino or Sportsbook Site
Here are some practical ways to implement responsible gambling tools effectively:
- Customize responsible gambling messages: Online casinos can customize responsible gambling messages to target specific groups of gamblers. For example, young adults (18-24 years), seniors (60+ years), frequent gamblers (weekly), and gamblers of skill-based games (poker, sports betting) may require different harm minimization tools and resources.
- Use AI tools: Artificial intelligence (AI) tools can play a critical role in responsible gambling practices. AI can be used to detect collusion, track activities, and enhance casino operators’ performance. AI tools can also improve player protection and provide a valuable consumer protection measures.
- Set limits: Online casinos can offer deposit limits, loss limits, and wagering limits to ensure their players stay responsible.
- Provide self-assessment tests: Gamblers are more likely to take self assessments if online casinos offer easy access to assessment quizzes on their websites.
- Educate users: Online casinos should educate users about responsible gambling tools and how to use them effectively.
Here is a self-assessment tool that can help users determine if they may have a gambling issue. We used the Brief Biosocial Gambling Screen (BBGS), a 3-item survey designed to help people decide on their own whether to seek a formal evaluation of their gambling behavior. It is based on the American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV) criteria for pathological gambling.
To use the BBGS, users can answer the following questions:
- Have you ever felt the need to bet more and more money?
- Have you ever had to lie to people important to you about how much you gambled?
- Have you ever felt that you might have a problem with gambling?
In the event that a player responds affirmatively to any of the questions in the self-assessment, it may suggest the presence of a gambling issue. In such instances, it is highly recommended that they seek further evaluation from a trained clinical professional. It is imperative to note that this self-assessment does not replace an in-person evaluation with a professional, nor does it constitute a diagnosis.
Helpful Organisations and Groups
Reputable organizations and support groups play a crucial role in assisting individuals with gambling concerns and promoting responsible gambling. Here are some well-known organizations and their services:
National Council on Problem Gambling (NCPG):
- Role: The NCPG is a leading advocacy organization dedicated to addressing problem gambling issues. They provide resources, support, and information on responsible gambling, self-assessment tools, and access to a helpline for those seeking assistance.
- Contact: NCPG website, Helpline: 1-800-522-4700
Gamblers Anonymous (GA):
- Role: GA is a fellowship of men and women who share their experiences, strength, and hope to help each other recover from gambling addiction. GA offers support group meetings, a 12-step program, and a network of individuals in recovery.
- Contact: Website, Email and Helpline: 0330 094 0322
- Role: GamCare is a UK-based organization dedicated to providing information, support, and treatment for individuals and families affected by problem gambling. They offer a helpline, online chat support, self-help resources, and counseling services.
- Contact: GamCare Website, Helpline: 0808 8020 133
- Role: BeGambleAware is a nonprofit located in the United Kingdom dedicated to promoting responsible gambling and assisting individuals impacted by problem gambling.They provide individuals and their families with information, advice, and a 24-hour helpline..
- Contact: Website: BeGambleAware Website, Helpline: 0808 8020 133
Responsible Gambling Council (RGC):
- Role: RGC is a Canadian organization focused on preventing gambling-related harm and promoting responsible gambling practices. They provide resources, research, and training for individuals, operators, and policymakers.
- Contact: Website or Helpline: +1 (416) 499-9800
International Centre for Youth Gambling Problems and High-Risk Behaviors:
- Role: This center is dedicated to studying and addressing youth gambling problems and high-risk behaviors. It offers research, educational resources, and outreach programs focused on youth and gambling.
- Contact: Website
Always gamble responsibly and assess yourself on gambling addiction signs.